Thursday, April 7, 2011

Orange Cranberry Scones and Awards


These scones were meant for last month's aspiring bakers but somehow I forgot about it. I realised my past few posts were all about cakes. Time to break the monotony before I get back to cakes again.


This was my second time baking scones. Compared to my previous cream scones, these orange craneberry scones are less rich and they need a little jam to boost the flavour, despite the fact that I used good quality butter. Perhaps it was due to the absence of salt, which I was lazy to include as I have to open a new pack.




Once again, I am honoured to recieve this lovely blog award from two fellow bloggers, Alice from I Love. I Cook. I Bake and Bake for a Queen. Thank you ladies =]

Here are rules to abide for accepting this award: 
  1. Post linking back to the person that gave you the award.
  2. Share 7 random things about yourself.
  3. Award 15 recently discovered blogs.
  4. Drop them a note and tell them about it.
Ok, here's 7 random things about myself:

1) I used to have a pet Maltese named Ashley staying with me. He's a male! Most people would associate the name with a female. He's now staying with my brother's family.

2) My favourite colour is green. Green used to be the colour theme for my blog when I firsted started blogging. It was a little dull and hence I changed it to the current blue theme which matches my blog layout. I might change it back to Green if I can find a nice green colour.

3) Of all bakes, I enjoy eating cakes the most, followed by cookies and bread. I'm quite a bread person but I always tend to procrastinate when it comes to bread making. Hence I am very stagnant in this aspect.

4) My favourite baking related show is called Cake Boss ( TLC channel) starring Buddy Valastro, his family and his bakery. He's a really talented cake artist and the show is humorous and entertaining. Wish I could make cakes like him one day. The fondant cakes he make are awesome! Imagine a safari theme cake, a 3D standing dog cake and a moving robot cake. Neat!

5) I am quite a bakecook fanatic. Currently I have around 60 titles. The bulk of it are chocolate, cake and cookie titles. Most of the titles are by asian authors. I even have a long wishlist of about 50 books which I would want to have, all of which are by western authors.

6) I think I am addicted to fondant making. I am not quite fond of eating fondant though. Will be adding fondant books to my bakebook wishlist.

7) When the time comes, I would want to go for professional courses to further my baking skills. At the moment, I can only rely on books, blogs, videos and internet articles.

I will be passing the award to the following bloggers: 
  1. Eelin from The Batter Baker
  2. Allie from Sweets and Loves 
  3. Sheryl from Life is too Short, Eat Desserts!
  4. Shirley from Kokken 69
  5. Fatmum from FatmumBaking
  6. Aimei from My Baking Cottage
  7. Josephine from Sugar & Everything Nice
  8. Blessed Homemaker  from Blessed Homemaker
  9. Wendy from Wen's Delight
  10. Jess from J3ss Kitch3n
  11. Jesslyn from Bakericious
  12. Pei-Lin from Dodol & Mochi
  13. Swee San from The Sweet Spot
  14. Wendy from Wendyinkk
 
Orange Cranberry Scones ( recipe adapted from The Art & Soul of Baking by Cindy Mushet)
Serving size: about 12 scones
Texture: Crisp and crumbly on the oustide; fluffy and cake light, moist in the interior. 
Equipment and Materials:
  • Measuring spoon set
  • Flour sift
  • 1.5 inch round cookie cutter
  • Mixing bowl
  • Parchment/baking paper
  • Wire rack
  • Weighing scale
  • Wire whisk
  • Flexible spatula

Dough:
185g plain flour
30g castor sugar
zest of 1 orange
1 tsp + 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
a pinch of salt
80g unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
60g dried cranberries
homemade buttermilk => 120ml milk  + 1/2tbs lemon juice, (leave to stand for 10 mins)

Making the scones:

Combine dry ingredients - Sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl. Add in the sugar, zests and salt. Use a wire whisk to aerate and disperse the mixture evenly.

Blend in butter - Tip in the cubed butter into the flour mixture. Use your hands and rub the chilled butter into the dry ingredients. The result should be that of fine and coarse flour-coated butter crumbs. Work fast to prevent the butter from melting.

Alternatively, use a pastry cutter or 2 knifes to cut the butter. If using 2 knifes, cut the butter into the flour mixture in a criss cross manner.

A food processor can also be used if you have one. If using a food processor, whisk the dry ingredients together for about 15 seconds. Add in the cubed butter and pulse a few times with 1 second intervals until fine and coarse flour-coated butter crumbs are obtained.

Adding the cream and cranberries - Add in cranberries to the coarse flour-coated butter crumbs and stir to distribute the berries evenly. Pour in the homemade buttermilk into the flour-coated butter crumbs. Use a fork and stir to obtain a moist sticky mixture. 

Shaping and chilling dough - Lightly flour a work surface. Turn out the moist sticky mixture onto the work surface and gently gather the mixture together, pressing in stray dry ingredients into the main dough. There is no need to knead the dough. Wrap the dough in cling film and flatten it to obtain a disk 1 inch in height. Chill in the refrigerator or freeze till it is very firm. Dough must be very firm else it will be difficult to work with.

Prepraring the oven - Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 210 degrees C (recipe asked for 220 degrees C).

Cutting out rounds - Once dough is chilled, turn the flattened disk out onto a floured work surface and cut out rounds using a round cookie cutter dusted with flour. Arrange the cut out rounds 1 inch apart on a baking tray lined with baking parchment. Gather the remaining scraps, flatten them into a disk 1 inch in height and repeat the chilling process. Repeat the cutting of rounds for a second time.

Gather the remaining scraps after the 2nd cutting and flatten them into a round disk 1 inch in height, for a final time. Cut the disk into wedges.

Chill all the cut-out rounds and wedges for another 20minutes or give them a quick freeze to firm them up. If the dough is too soft, it will lose its shape in the oven.

Baking the scones: Bake the scones for 14 -16 minutes or untill the surface is golden brown. Remove to cool on a wire rack.

Notes: 
  1. These Scones taste best when served warm.
  2. Dough can be prepared beforehand and chilled overnight (one night maximum) or frozen for weeks. The dough may not rise as much as when it is freshly made on the same day.
  3. Store remaining scones in an airtight container. Warm them in a toaster or oven before serving.

Notice:

If you wish to post the recipe and instructions online, please give due credit and do re-phrase the instructions. I have taken quite a bit of effort to construct, edit and type them out. Thank you =]

15 comments:

  1. Hey ZY, thanks for the award. I am really flattered. It's a shame you forgot about these scones. They would have made a great entry for the Aspiring Bakers Event!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the award! The scones look really good with so much cranberry all over.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how prominent the orange zest looks in this scone.
    Thanks for the award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only eaten plain scones before.. This orange cranberry scones looks good!

    Hey thanks for the award!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. Have a good weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice! i'll prefer them to be a tad more rich and buttery though. I'll have a look at your cream scones recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi ZY, many thanks for the award and it was a nice surprise. Love the scones esp with cranberries. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cranberry, these scones must taste very nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can see the orange distinctly in the scones... I bet it is v fruity and has a lovely taste... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing more about yourself!
    You have a good collections of bake books! I should go to your library insteand of the NLB ;)
    You should go for professional baking course now, why wait?

    ReplyDelete
  11. These really look wonderful though it sounds like you were a bit disappointed. This is my first visit to your blog but I will be back. I really like the food and recipes you feature here and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey ladies,

    You're welcome! You all deserve the award truly =]

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    hi travelling foodies,

    I was hoping the buttery fragrance would come out.. they didn't, sadly.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Hey HHB,

    haha I tend to pick up books when I see a good buy, whether or not I need them. They always come in handy =]

    I wished I could go for a course right away, but I need to save up for it in the mean time.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    hey mary,

    thanks for dropping by. I wasn't really disappointed. Was merely looking forward to richer scones. They are not too shabby when paired when jam.

    Thanks for the encouragement and have a great day! =]

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey!!! Hhaa Great minds think alike. I wanted to do cranberry orange something sometime this month! WHOO You just gave me more motivatio bro!

    Anyway thanks for the lovely award! Yayee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats ZY, you are well deserved for the award! And thanks for sharing it with you, appreciated very much.

    ReplyDelete

Dear readers, thanks for visiting my humble little blog. Feel free to leave a message so that I can learn and be a better baker. Its a great feeling to share our culinary experience and adventures in the kitchen.

Thank you and have a nice day! Cheers =]

Related Posts with Thumbnails