Friday, December 10, 2010

Bakertan's Christmas Goodies - Chocolate Log Cake 1


I was in quite a hurry to get this log cake done and was rushing off to my first Christmas dinner of the month. Pardon me for the shabbily-taken pictures. Next time, I will take more pictures of the process if time permits and perhaps add some decorations to my plain looking log cake.


As I mentioned in my earlier post, making log cake is easier than you would imagine. Choose your favourite swiss roll recipe. It need not be a chocolate swiss roll. Blackforest, strawberry, matcha and coffee swiss rolls will also do the job. Roll the sheet cake tightly into a log as you would for a swiss roll. Nevermind if it breaks. Simply cover it with whipped cream or buttercream according to your preference and use the tines of a fork to 'scratch' the surface of the frosting along the length to get the 'tree bark' effect. There you have, a rustic homemade log cake.

For this log cake, I chose my chocolate swiss roll recipe and increased the amount of buttercream (reduced sugar as well) so that there is enough frosting to cover the swiss roll. The log cake may be glazed with ganache instead of buttercream.


5 comments:

  1. The moment I saw it online, I thought your buche de noel looked superb. If dusted with snow powder or confectioner's sugar, it'd look even shiok!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for sharing the recipe. I was waiting for the chocolate butter cream recipe so here it comes very helpful. Beside, may I know if the cake store in the fridge, is the butter cream going to be harden? How you keep this completed log cake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You got me kinda tempted to make a log cake for this Christmas as well. But I don't have a lot of time to spare this month, so it's probably going to be a do-or-die attempt =/

    So yeah, I'm also curious to know how I can store the buttercream log cake. Do let me know too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey Pei-Lin,

    I dusted it with icing sugar actually. But the amount was a bit too little. Could have dusted more.

    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Hey Grace,

    the buttercream will harden. Just let the cake sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving so that the buttecream will soften. Store the cake in a 10 x 10 inch square cake box (with cake board)

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    hey Jean,

    Go do it man! I will be looking forward to your log cake =] Don't worry. have faith in yourself.

    store the cake in a 10 x 10 inch square cake box (with cake board). see notes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks nice! (: bookmarked it! going to try this for christmas (: hpefully it'll looks as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete

Dear readers, thanks for visiting my humble little blog. Feel free to leave a message so that I can learn and be a better baker. Its a great feeling to share our culinary experience and adventures in the kitchen.

Thank you and have a nice day! Cheers =]

Related Posts with Thumbnails