Thursday, April 15, 2010

Crazy About Bakebooks

It is hard for me to resist the urge to browse at bakebooks whenever I am near a bookstore or a library. Somehow, I can hear the books calling out to me. Reading was never my hobby. The only publications I was willing to read are magazines and comics. Things changed when I took up baking. Ever since then, I enjoyed reading up bakebooks and online baking articles.

Being a self-taught baker, books and online sources are my best reference materials. There is an endless library of publications for me to refer to. Nowadays, collecting bakebooks is fast becoming one of my hobby. Whenever there is a book sale, I will very much look forward to getting a good bargain at the cookbook corner. Well, there is one coming up soon, the Borders sale at Expo. Hopefully it will not disappoint. One day, I am going to stuff my bookshelves full with purely bakebooks. When that day comes, I think my room will become.. hmm...what shall i call it - a baking library.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Bakertan,
    I can't agree more! The moment I am in a library or bookstore, I head straight to the cookery/baking section. And I love to borrow books from the library. It serves as a prelude to whether I want to buy the book or not. There were a few books I bought after having borrowed from the library. I thought I just want to own them, even though they don't come cheap! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I couldn't help chuckling as I read through the post. I just have the itch to buy cookbooks though I know there are tons of good recipes online! And I still don't think of myself as silly. =P

    In fact, I just spent some dough and got myself Nigel Slater's "The Kitchen Diaries" last weekend. Now, I'm itching to get "Momofuku," all of Peter Reinhart's bread books, "Baking From My Home to Yours," and "The Perfect Scoop." I think the list will keep growing ... perpetually. Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi pei-lin,

    Baking from my home to yours is on my list too. Haven baked any bread yet so bread books are out of the question for the time being.

    I am refraining from referring to online recipes these days and trying to make the best out of the books I own and to make sure they are worth the while. Look forward to my collection growing.

    ReplyDelete

Dear readers, thanks for visiting my humble little blog. Feel free to leave a message so that I can learn and be a better baker. Its a great feeling to share our culinary experience and adventures in the kitchen.

Thank you and have a nice day! Cheers =]

Related Posts with Thumbnails